There has been a huge emphasis on the healthcare sector in recent months and the volume of people attending GPs and needing hospital care has risen sharply thanks to COVID-19. That makes it more important than ever before to ensure that patient data and sensitive health and social care information is being safely dealt with. Legal compliance obligations require that documents and files containing patient information are properly disposed of and for many organisations and institutions the only safe way to do that is via an on-site shredding service.
Which organisations benefit from on-site shredding?
The whole of the healthcare sector stands to gain from a regular on-site shredding schedule. There are huge risks to any organisation today when it comes to failing at legal compliance obligations, including fines and other sanctions. And particular risks exist with respect to patient data, including the fact that fake identities can be created from patient records and used to obtain prescription drugs. From GP surgeries to medical centres and hospitals, local healthcare trusts to dental surgeries, anywhere that patient data and records are being processed has the potential to benefit from investing in the right kind of on-site shredding.
Shred-on-site’s document shredding services
The reliable and experienced team at Shred-on-site has a clear understanding of the obligations that exist when it comes to ensuring the safety of patient records and data. The service is designed to help make sure that organisations within health and social care can be fully and legally compliant, both to maintain the security of patient data and to help avoid any costly fines or further action. All employees are highly trained and go through a process of vetting to ensure that they are able to provide the right level of service to key customers in this field. This is how the process works:
- A regular shredding schedule is agreed so that there is never a build-up of material that needs to be disposed of.
- Documents etc that are intended for destruction are placed in lockable consoles provided by the company so that they will remain secure until the next shredding date comes around.
- On-site shredding services can handle a range of different materials, including documents and files as well as uniforms, X-rays, photographs and even CCTV tapes and computer disks.
- When the day for shredding arrives, the team will come to the premises, collect the consoles and shred the materials in them on site. The risk to the materials inside is minimised, as the consoles never leave the premises.
- Shredded material is recycled and – with respect to documents – taken to a paper mill where it can be turned into other paper-based products. This not only helps our business to be greener but supports improved environmental commitment in healthcare organisations too.
Shredding services are essential to organisations within health and social care, particularly given the high volume of sensitive and personal data that is being processed. Shred-on-site services have a key role to play in ensuring that safe document destruction takes place.